MACRO is playing a major role for Black entertainment at the 2019 Sundance film festival. The MACRO Lounge is packed with incredible panels and a highly anticipated premiere. The 2nd Annual MACRO LODGE will feature various invitation-only panels, screening, and parties held at its exclusive location on Main Street in Park City, UT from January 25-28, 2019 and hosted by MACRO Founder & CEO Charles D. King and his wife Stacey Walker King.
Friday, January 25, 2019
- MACRO Open House
- The Black Creatives Midnight Brunch Honoring ColorCreative Sponsored by Color of Change, The Open Society Foundations and Firelight
Saturday, January 26th, 2019
- MACRO Open House
The premiere screening for BET’s new series “Boomerang” executive produced by Emmy -Award winning writer, creator and actress Lena Waite and producer Halle Berry. The show is a spinoff of the 1992 romantic comedy, which follows the lives of Marcus and Angela Graham’s daughter, Simone and Jacqueline Boyer’s son, Bryson. The show takes on a journey of these childhood friends, now adults making an effort to step out of their parents’ shadows as marketing professionals, all while trying to deal with their feelings for each other. After the screening, viewers are in for an in-depth a panel discussion with Waithe, showrunner Ben Cory Jones, and director Dime Davis.
- The Midnight MACRO Party, a late night festivity
Sunday, January 27, 2019
- Actress/producer Jada Pinkett-Smith will visit the lodge for a fireside chat.
- Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Amy Vilela, Cori Bush, Paula Jean Swearengin, and filmmaker Rachel Lears will be in attendance for the documentary, Knock Down The House, which highlights the women’s historic runs for Congress.
- Essence Makers & Creators Cocktail Party
Monday, January 28, 2019
- Planned Parenthood Presents Our Bodies, Our Stories: A Celebration of Unstoppable Black Women – This event will celebrate Black women in television and film for their contributions of real, authentic disruptive stories and changing the perception of Black women and girls.
- On1 with Angela Rye Presents: Politics, Culture and Storytelling -Podcast Sponsored by Color of Change, The Open Society Foundations and Firelight
The winners of The MACRO Episodic Lab Powered by The Black List will also be announced. The lab was launched in 2018 with a mission to discover episodic storytellers of color, empower them with creative tools and resources to help launch their careers and provide industry support to writers from a wide range of backgrounds who typically do not have the traditional Hollywood system. Applicants were invited to submit their ideas to be reviewed by MACRO and The Black List team. Semi-finalists had the opportunity to pitch their projects to a group of representatives from MACRO, The Black List, Eva Longoria, and Waithe. The winners will receive development support and a pilot presentation or sizzle budget of up to $30,000 each.
Shea Moisture is the presenting sponsor of MACRO Lounge. Color of Change is a premium sponsor. Essence is an activation partner.